Friday, April 07, 2006

Eye Red

I had an eye infection, conjuvitis my loctor said. It begin yesterday morning actually, but I only notice it when I got into office. Was too busy to really care, until noon, when it get worsen. By the time I reached home, the flesh around my right eyes has swollen.

Took a nap right after dinner, and prayed that it will go away once I got up. Woke up I did, twice some more, nabeh. I fell asleep on the couch, so the first wake, I went into my room and continue to sleep, only to be woken up at 3:00am, caused by too much sleep. It was around 5:00am when I drifted back to sleep again, I think so. Everytime I woke up, I went into the bathroom to check on my eye.

It was very sensitive to light, but without light how can I see it's condition. All was not well, everytime I checked, it was as swollen as ever. At 8:00am, crawled out from bed and contemplating if I should go to work, or just take a MC. Only to be reminded by myself that I have to go to office, even if I were to take MC. I need to pass my passport and photo to my office admin to apply a visa for me, for a trip to a foreign land.

I should have brought the passport and photo yesterday, though it was not confirm, I knew it was coming. So padan muka for me for not thinking. After five minutes of procastrinating in the bathroom, with the flamming red eye, I finally decided to take the plunge. Will ride bike to office, to pass the photo and passport, and back home again.

Still no many people around when I arrived in office, before 9 am! The office admin was no where to be seem, but her PC was already running. She must be in the office somewhere, pantry maybe. True enough, just when I put my passport and photo on her desk, there she was beside me, but like a villager avoiding plague, she block her face with her hands. Trying to avoid me from passing the plague to her. Passed her the photo and passport, and I rush out of office, only to stumble upon the HR manager and couple of lady colleagues.

The other lady was asking what happen to my car, why I take bike today and recently! Oh boy, this will surely leaks out to my boss, sooner or later. Darn. Don't care! It's obvious isn't it! I am rushing for time, helloo. Knock knock knock... anybody in there? The HR Manager said the obvious, "He want to avoid the jam lar of course!"

On the way home, I decided to drop by the polyclinic near my place, which I usually visit. Uh... that loctor is super friendly today. Though I knew the red will go away if only I have a rest at home, but I wouldn't want to take a risk. The trip is just around the corner. Walk into the clinic with my jacket still on and with my full face helmet in my hand. The receptionist looked at me, and asked "You want to see doctor?". Harrowww!!!! "No I am here to see you!", I tempted to reply. Or maybe I don't look like I am sick to her. Well can't really blame her, I am not sick at all, perfectly healthy with a red eye. Registered at the front desk, and wait for my name to be called.

When it's my turn, I went into the room. The loctor was standing, instead of sitting down like he usually do in my previous visit, with torch light in his hand, handy. The cute girl at the reception must has pre-inform him about my eyes. "Look up!", he point to the ceiling and shine the torch into my right eye, and then left eye.

"Hmmm.... eye infection, conjuvitis. Very common." was the first thing he said, after shining the torch into my eyes, and still standing.

"You should wash your hand before you touch you eyes, or upper part of your face especially near your eyes. You touch everything with you hand, and you can transfer the bacteria to your eyes. That's how your eyes get infected." he continue with his fatherly advice.

"Three to four days, that's the fastest." What? Fastest for what, I didn't interject, just wait for him to continue and finnish his sentence.

"Usually it will takes about 5-7 days for it to heal completely." Oh, say early lar. Don't keep me surprise like that. I was still seated there, and he was still standing in front of me, and keep a distance as not to be too near to me.

"There are two types of medicine which I can give you. One is a normal and milder. The other one is stronger, but may has a side effect. I will give you the milder one, just to play safe. With this it will take 5-7 days to completely heal. I will give you a MC. Two days, today and tomorrow. Do you work tomorrow?" he continue.

"I am not working tomorrow." I told him.

"Oh, in that case I will give you MC for today only. You need to take rest."

"Actually I have to travel to *foreign land* this Sunday." I explained to him, and wait for his reaction.

"Oh! Then I think I better give you the stronger one. And just to be safe, I think I will also give you an antibiotic to be taken orally. I don't usually do this, but I think it's better even though I think it is not absolutely necessary. Just to be safe."

Oh boy.... Okie I give up, at first I though of writting all the he said this morning to me here. I have never meet a doctor that is such talkative as him. Actually normally he is quite friendly, but not as friendly as today. I think if I were to collect all the talking done by all the doctors for all my previous visit and sum it up, it's still less that what I hear to him this morning alone.

Before I leave the room, he repeat the instruction on how to apply the droplet like three times, and repeat the part that I must clean my hand with soup before touching my face and eye again. I was just curious as to what side effect he mentioned earlier, so I ask him.

"From my 30 years plus experience as doctor, and perscribe this stronger droplet, I have about 2-3 patient who had the complication." So what is the complication?

"Your eye sight will deteriorate you quickly, and your sight with become blur. But this symptom will goes aways once you stop taking the medication."

The he repeat about how to take the medicine again. Right eye one drop every 4 hours, and left eye one drop everytime, and three times per day. See, I can remember so well, thanks to his repeated reminder.

Then I was in the reception waiting for my medicine to be dispensed. The he was, at the reception. "Mr. Mana." Call out for me. I get up from my seat and walk toward the reception. "We are open tomorrow morning, if you want me to check your eye for you, you can come tomorrow morning and I can take a look at it." Oh... okie.

"This droplet, is basically an antibiotic and it contains steriod. The steriod is strong, and sometime too strong for certain people. If you eye can't take it, it will develop ulcer." He continue to explain, standing behind the counter which separate me from him.

"Ulcer in the eye?" This is the first time I hear this.

"It's like this." He pulled out a pen, and start to draw an eye on the today's newpaper left there by the cute reception who is right now, dispensing the med for me. Then he draw small dots around the iris that he drew.

"Small ulcer like this will develop around this area of your black eyes."
"You mean I will be able to see the small dots?"
"No, you come here, and doctor like me will be able to see it. Please take note, if your visible distance start to drop significantly, this will surely mean the ulcer is developing. But don't be alarmed, it will go away once you stop taking the droplet. You can come to let me check tomorrow morning if you want."
"Oh, okie" I prayed that I don't have to go back. Anyway I have a feeling my eye is already getting better even before I went to the clinic.
"Thank you doctor!", just before he turn and walk into the consultation room, another patient is already being asked into the room just now.

Oh boy, he is surely extra friendly today, this is not a complaint. The damage? RM45. One eye drop, one antibiotic, one flu medecine, and one for the swell. I didn't even mentioned about the flu. But probable he noticed my running nose when I was talking to him earlier. Strangely only the right nose is running, it's related to the red eye on the right eye, must be.

The last I checked one hour ago, the red color on my right eye has almost completely gone. I take the droplet as perscribed. I only took one flu pill, right after I came back from the clinic. I didn't take both the antibiotic and swollen reduction medecine. If I were to take the antibiotic, I have to finnish all, otherwise it's not good. So I rather not take at all.

I was suppose to be on MC today right? No. Despite staying at home, if I were to rank busy-ness for everyday this year, today easily among the top in the chart. So many urgent and important emails to be responded too. A document needed to be reviewed before send out to a partner. A couple of problems needed to be follow up with my team. The travel plan and itenerary for week after next week workshop with a couple of partners, in another city of the same foreign land needed to be finalised and communicate to our office admin to book for ticket and accomodation.

In between, a couple of new issues on unrelated projects crops up! *sigh*. Why it has to be today. It's time to delegate more to my subordinate. It's a good time to start, since I won't be around next week, the last issue which brough upon my attention at around six pm, I have delegated to another trusted senior team member. I work even more, much more, than a normal day. I felt like I was running a marathon, today. Reminded me of the lyric for Alanis's song - Ironic.

Given a MC, and
Have to work twice as hard as normal day.
Isn't it ironic?

*** *** ***
Ironic - Alanis Morissette
====================

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic ... don't you think

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought ... it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
'Well isn't this nice...'
And isn't it ironic ... don't you think
Repeat Chorus


Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

It's a traffic jam when you're already late
It's a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic... don't you think
A little too ironic... and yeah I really do think...

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out