Saturday, January 13, 2007

What's it like to use public transport. Not bad.

7:15am - Alarm on mobile phone went off. Argh... I just need another 15 mins of sleep. Turned off the alarm and head back to dreamland.
7:45am - Second alarm went off. I can't even remember I turn off, or did I? :P
8:45am - The appointed time for car service at the service centre. Me still lost in dreamland.
9:45am - Woke up only and orgh... I miss the appointment for car service. Took a quick bath and made a call to the service center. Luckily they still allow me to send the car over despite I am late by one and a half hour. The toothache last night was almost gone, but better not risk it. Call a colleague to get the dental clinic number, err.. I can't locate my patient card, and this dentist was introduced by this colleague. She should have the number :P As expected, she has the number. Place a call to the dental, and luckily they have no appointment at that time.
10:10am Left the car at the service center, and took a life threatening risk crossed the busy road to stop a cab to go to the dental clinic.
10:15am - Managed to flag down a green cab. The driver looks like a serial murderer. I mentioned my destination which is less than 5km away, and he asked me if I know how to get to there. Bloody hell, isn't it your job to know where to go or this fella is scheming to rip me off. A friend told my I may not looks like a local. But better not mess with the would be killer. Told him yup, I knew how to get there. Please be quick, I can't wait to get down from my would-be-last-seen-in-cab.
10:30am - Directed him to stop by the road side and walked about 50m to the clinic. The pain was felt on the left side of my lower jaw. Don't know exactly which tooth was the culprit. The dentist use a sort of solid tools to slowly knocked on each tooth, yet I can't ascertain which tooth was causing the pain as I can't feel the pain even as he knocked on the teeth. He probe further, and I told him it hurt last night when I bite on something. He folded the muslin cloth, and ask me to bite it and that's how we found out the real culprit. He removed the old filling, and later told me that it seems like the nerves of the tooth has been effected. I can either let him pull it off (and say bye bye to the premolar), or underwent root canal treatment to remove the nerves (and hurt my wallet ouch!). I think it's still worth keeping and go for options two.
11:00am - First treatment for the root canal was done. Walked to nearest bus stop, which was at least 500m to 800m away. This was the first time in ten years I took a intracity bus in Klang Valley. Got the information about the route and bus stop from a colleague who has been taking RapidKL to/fro for work. I thought I should give it a try.
11:11am - Arrived at the bus stop and run a little bit the last 10 meter, just in time, as the bus pulled over to the side of the road. Paid RM2 ticket, for the almost 1 hours journey, compared this to RM4 for the cab which took less than 5 minutes. The bus there were still a handful of seats empty, I guess because this stop is just a few stops away from where the route starts. Took the seat and brought out the mag which I carried with me in my notebook bag, in case in any time I need to wait for someone or something. Actually that was the last month issue of the mag, which I indirectly subscribed to by joining ACM. In fact there were a couple of previous issues which still in the in it's plastic wrappers.
12:00pm - Arrived at the bus stop beside my office. So far the experience of boarding and taking this public transport is still pretty pleasant and good. I look around through out the journey, and notice that I am only one reading, the rest are just look out of the bus or dozing off.
4:00pm Received a call from the service center and my car is ready for the picking. It's still too early for me to go off, and the center will only close at 6:30pm.
5:30pm - Confirmed with a colleague about the bus that I should take. Was told that I can used back the ticket which I paid for this morning. It seems that the RM2 is a daily fair. With all the petrol and toll hike, this is pretty much a good deal. Maybe I should explore this option, to go to work. Just make a quick check at the RapidKL Online, and there is bus stop with a direct bus route to my office. Hmmm... . Board the bus, and as this is the first stop, I manage to get myself a seat too, and again managed to finish reading a handful of articles in the mag, and browsed through a handful more.
6:45pm - As expected, the returning trip was a bit slow as the traffic started to get heavy on Federal Highway. Though the bus pass by right in front of the service center, with the busy traffic and chicken shit that I am, I decided to stop further away, maybe 800m away, as that's the only place which has the pedestrian crossing overhead bridge.

Overall this is quite a pleasant experience taking the public transport. Maybe I should do this more often. What I like about taking public transport other than the obvious fact that it's cheap is it sort of allow me to use the traveling time to do some reading. Yet I am already used to taking my own transport which obviously much more flexible in term of time, and sometime I may need to got to customer place with very short notice. Anyway, this is still a good alternative.