Sunday, April 06, 2008

Sixth Sense?

I was out on errant with one of the colleague Friday morning. He was supposed to settle something in SS2, and I tagged along snaking.

Not too entirely sure what we were talking about in the car, but for sure we ended up forgotten to make the U-turn at the traffic-light. Well, it's an illegal U-turn, but that's what we and other occupant of the building where our office are doing. That's the shortest way out. It again proven that man can't multi task, we can only do one thing at any given time.

By the time we realized we had missed the U-turn, we decided to take another longer route and possibly the traffic could be heavy along this route. Just as we came out from Seputeh and converged with the main road near the, I noticed the traffic was heavy and moving along bumper to bumper.

We ought to switch to right or middle lane on that three lane road. The first left lane which we were on is the public bus and taxi lane. This is were things started to get pretty interesting.

Mana: "You are suppose to switch to the right lane."
Colleague: "Yes, but there are so many cars. It's okie one lar. It's alright to be on this lane."
Mana: "No, no, switch lane please. There could be police in front."

He turned on the right signal and as usual the cars on the right lane wasn't giving ways. I told him to slow down further and try to switch lane, and told there could be police in front at this hours of the day.

I hate it when people gives me instruction or unsolicited advice on what to do or not to do when I am driving. For that reason, I don't normally admonish do that to other people, even if they are breaking the rules. But I just couldn't helped it this time. My hunch was just too strong for me to ignore and even to break my own rule of not giving unsolicited advice. Within that few seconds period, I incessantly pestering him to switch lane. I was like kept switch lane, switch lane, switch lane... yada-yada-yada and he kept ignoring me.

Then just as we took a corner, there they were! This was one of the moments where I would be more glad to be wrong. He switched lane, but it's too late. The policemen already noticed the car and made signal for him to slowdown and moved to the side of the road. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I had a smile on my face, though and can't help but spurted out that golden mantra "Shit! See, I told you already!"

We stopped by the side of the road, and told the policeman we just came out from Seputeh and tried to switch lane, but unable to because the cars on the right lane wouldn't let us.

The policeman bought our explanation, and let us go. Both of us have a sigh of relief, got back on the road and head toward our destination. He said he guess the policeman bought our explanation probably due to the way he dress, a business shirt with cuff link, and also the car's right signal was actually on. I think I have to agree with him on that. Some people do judge you by the way you look.